Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Rescued by Kara

Lest we forget, there is knitting to share. Nothing finished mind you,  but progress is measured in minutiae (at least by the desperate) so here goes.

I swatched for Kara by Cecily Glowik MacDonald several months ago. Way, way back in february. I remember because I was proud that I swatched and was even more pleased that I tried a number of different decreases on the swatch before settling on one I liked. (Slip as if to knit, slip as if to purl. If you're interested.) I feel as if I swatched purposefully. I cast on the sweater and had the pattern memorized very quickly and I liked it all. I had no complaints.
Even the yarn, a Rowan linen and cotton blend was pleasant to work with, so it all should have been so busy. But life, life got in the way. Life and travel and starting new things and a thousand other excuses. Finally after battling lace and repetitive boredom disorder (frequently starts abruptly in the middle of a lace scarf) I turned with a sigh of relief back to my cardigan. She is all I want to knit on right now because she needs no pattern, she grows apace and she never ever makes me squint at the stitches as I try to wander what the hell happened.


It's an odd sweater construction that is new to me. I understand it but have never knit anything with this sort of shaping before.



You literally start at the bottom, knit the back and then increase for the sleeves and once you have enough fabric knitted for the sleeve, cast off at the neck edge.
I'm curious about how I'm going to feel about this all when it's done, but right now all is happiness and joy.


The pattern blocks out into some rather pretty lace so this should be a reasonable summer cardigan. And considering how much I've liked the yarn, I may knit a bit more with linen and cotton. I prefer the squish and forgiveness of wool, but I want to have some handknits for the warmer months and the plant fibres are ideal for humid, hot days.



3 comments:

SJ said...

That should be lovely when it's finished. I'm normally not a fan of knitting with cotton, but I do enjoy wearing it.

Geraldine Kiser said...

Every time I start a lace project I remember only a little way in why I don't like knitting lace! It requires way too much of my attention. I do like sweaters that have unusual shaping and are knit all in one piece! This one is very intriguing and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Knit on!!

garret said...

I have to tell you that Elizabeth has a pattern just like that. It'll be a while before I get that -- though I'll be lucky if mine looks half as good as yours does.