Saturday, November 27, 2010

ASU

All Spun Up is another one of the dyers that I'm using regularly over in the Etsy/Ravelry universe. I would like to say that I found her myself but as usual in the fibre/knitting world -" I found her on this blog..." Actually specifically on this blog. Her dyeing is beautiful. She's one of those dyers that I have realised that even if I'm not crazy about the colours or what the actual dyed fiber looks like, she's much better at this than me and the end product will be fabulous.
Every couple of months ASU has a spin-along.
 It's a bit of a thrill really. She lets you know that one is about to happen and you sign up. Signing up is not official, it's really to give her an indication of how many people will be playing. There's a date and a time given and you head to Etsy and wait. Well... really you make a note of when the fiber will be released and around about that time you mention that you have an important phone call, close your office door and log into Etsy and wait... The fiber is sight unseen. You know what type of fiber you are buying but the actual dye job is only seen when it arrives in your mailbox.
I'm hooked on this process. I love the unknown, I love being part of  a group all doing the same thing (I am such a herd animal!)  and I love seeing how everybody, despite spinning the same fiber, comes up with something totally different...

So the last ASU SAL ended up being something called Rustic. The most heavenly blend of 85% BFL and 15% silk and 100% divine! But let me show you...


It was like the proverbial butter... Soft and silky...




And I am not a good picture-taker so trust me...
And there was a wee bit left over that was navajo-plied!


I think the Navajo ply looks softer and that's probably because when I ply this way it untwists more, so it's naturally softer. The traditional 3 ply ends up with a tighter ply so has less fluff but is much more hardwearing!

No comments: